Sunday 3 June 2012

[Book Review] Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

This book showed up in my ‘Readers Also Enjoyed’ panel in GoodReads. I forgot which book I was looking at that time but the cover for Obsidian (the old edition) caught my eye and I clicked onto it. (Yes I’ll admit that it was the guy on the cover that attracted me! Even in a tiny thumbnail form. :P)

They are not like us…

Up close, I saw the blurb on the cover. Hmm. Okay. Yet another YA paranormal book eh? Angels? Vampires? Shapeshifters?

It turned out to be none of the above. To my surprise, it was about aliens . I’ve never read a YA book about aliens before…unless you count those Roswell TV tie-ins from all those years ago.

The story is told from the main character, Katy’s POV and we already know that the main guy a.k.a. Daemon is an alien from the summary. So I was curious to see how the author would ‘lead’ Katy to the discovery. I was afraid it would be one of those stories that make me cringe and want to face palm a lot (think obvious and very in your face clues, super unobservant heroines and dropping tons of huge hints until the MC finally gets it). Thankfully, this wasn’t one of the cases. The pacing of the story is just nice, not too rushed/slow and keeps you interested.

Katy is a likable character. She tough, brave and doesn’t fall for the jerk attitude Daemon sports. She’s a book blogger too! The thoughts that run in her head make me really want to laugh out loud. Some of my favorite lines:

“My palms itched to have a close encounter of the bitch-slap kind with his face.”

“The day my internet was hooked up was better than having a hot guy check out my butt and ask for my phone number.”


Daemon on the other hand didn’t endear himself to me…initially. The words from the summary describe him perfectly: Infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. I agree! He was such a rude jerk when Katy first went over to ask for directions and remained a jerk for some time. But as the story goes on, we get to see the other side of him, get to know him better and understand the reasons behind his attitude. It's safe to say I was a Daemon fan-girl by the end of the book. I love the banter/love-hate relationship between Katy and Daemon!

Dee, Daemon’s sister is lovable and rather…hyper. Her bubbly attitude dazes me a little (all that bouncy energy!) but she’s not without her share of problems as well. She’s a great friend to Katy and Daemon is fiercely protective of her.

The other characters in this book were interesting but aren’t really memorable. There’s the ex-girlfriend, one of the triplets who is nice/a little detached and other Luxen not too happy about their secret being revealed. The DoD (Department of Defense) is still pretty mysterious at this stage and I hope to know more about them in the coming books.

Rating: 4 of 5 stars.

-------------------------------------------

First read on March 3rd.
Read a second time and reviewed posted on June 3rd.


No comments:

Post a Comment